If you are planning on setting up your very own website, one of the most important factors that you need to consider is the domain name. Domain name registration could be the most basic step when it comes to creating a new website. The domain name could also be termed as the address of your website. This way you’re giving you’re website a name and hence people will be able to find it when they type in the address.
Most people consider picking a domain name as the easiest task – what is in a name right? Well, when choosing your domain name, there are plenty of factors that you need to consider:
- Are you planning on getting search engine traffic or
- Do you just wish to let your employees use it as an internal website just for your business announcements, work portals and the like?
If your answer is the second point, then yes, domain name registration is the easiest step of setting up a website. However, if you are looking forward to receive targeted traffic from search engines, you need to make sure that your domain name is optimized as well.
Before domain name registration, you need to do a lot of research in order to pick the best possible name. The name is going to be permanent, of course you could change it, but then all the people that are familiar with your old name would be lost – you’d have to redirect traffic and go through a lot of other hurdles. Therefore, assess the name well before registering it.
Tips for picking the right domain name:
When it comes to domain name registration, you’re free to pick any name of your choice, provided it’s not already taken. Here are a few tips that you could consider before choosing a domain name:
- The name of your domain needs to be short and simple to remember, it could be catchy too if you wish.
- Generic names are really hard to register as they are mostly taken. So, you could modify the name slightly by adding another keyword or anything in particular related to your business in addition to your business name.
- As far as possible, stay away from hyphens in your domain name, as this only confuses your users. Very often they tend to leave out the hyphens and without you knowing it; they’re off to another website seeking another businesses services.
- Make sure the name reflects your business if you want it to feature well on search results.
The final process when it comes to domain name registration is finding a trustable service to buy the domain from.